Department of Population Health and Social Sciences
The Department of Population Health and Social Sciences was established in 1998 with the original title: “Health Promotion and Social Sciences”. In subsequent years, due to the expansion of the activities, the chair titles changed to: “Health policy and management”, “Population Health”.
The main fields of the department are educational, academic, research, consulting and expert activities in the field of public health and healthcare, health promotion, public health policy, disease prevention, bioethics, management psychology, research methodology.
The PHSS department has long-term programme classes (master’s and doctoral PhD), short-term classes as well as retraining and distance learning in the “Population Health” specialty.
Altyn Aringazina, DSc, PhD – Chair, Department of Population Health &Social Sciences, Doctor of Medical Sciences
Expert of the European Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation
WHO Expert Advisory Panel on Health Promotion since 2009
IUHPE Global Board of Trustees (France) for 2007-2013
IUHPE Working Group on Health Literacy since 2013
Executive Committee of Asian Health Literacy Association
Editorial Board of the “Health Promotion International” Oxford Journal since 2010
Fulbright Scholar at Columbia University, New York, USA for 2010-2011
Fogarty Scholar at State University of New York, SUNY, Albany USA for 2014
Professional and Scientific Committees and Advisory Roles
XVII World Conference on Health Promotion and Health Education, “Health: an investment for a just society”, Paris, France, 2001
5th European Conference on the Effectiveness and Quality of Health Promotion,
London, United Kingdom, 2002 (bursary from Health Development Agency)
Organizer, 1st Central Asian Conference on Health Promotion “Planning for Population Health” funded by European TACIS project in Almaty, 2003.
6 th IUHPE European Conference on the Effectiveness and Quality of Health
Promotion “Best practice for better health”, Stockholm, Sweden, 2005
Technical Advisory Group, 6th Global Conference on Health Promotion
“Policy and Partnership for Action: Addressing the Determinants of Health”,
Bangkok, Thailand, 2005
Workshop, International meeting “Capacity mapping of population health
promotion in Europe”, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 2005
WHO/HBSC Forum 2006: “The Socioeconomic Determinants of Healthy Eating
Habits and Physical Activity among Adolescents, Florence, Italy, 2006.
Scientific Advisory Panel, WHO Technical meeting on developing of indicators
and benchmarks for reporting progress on the implementation of the Bangkok
Charter for Health Promotion in a globalized world, WHO/SEARO, New Delhi,
Expert Panel, WHO Technical meeting on EURO Capacity Mapping Initiative, HQ
Organizer, International Conference dedicated to the 30 th anniversary of Alma-
Ata Declaration of WHO/UNICEF on Primary Health Care, Almaty, 2008
International Conference based on the work of the Commission on the Social
Determinants of Health: Closing the Gap in a Generation, London, UK, 2008
Expert Advisory Panel, 7th Global Conference on Health Promotion “Promoting
Health and Development: Closing the Implementation Gap”, Nairobi, Kenya,
Organizer, International Conference dedicated to the 35th anniversary of Alma-
Ata Declaration of WHO/UNICEF on Primary Health Care, Almaty, 2013
IUHPE SMART working group for organizing the 21st IUHPE World Conference on Health promotion, Pattaya, Thailand, August 25-29, 2013
Organizer, 9th ORPHEUS Conference “Creating Career Opportunities for PhDs in Life and Health Sciences”. Chair of workshop. Lausanne, Switzerland, April, 3-5, 2014
Organizer, The 3rd European Health Literacy Conference, 17-19 November 2015. Chair of the session. The Management Centre Europe, Brussels, Belgium
SMART working group for organizing the 22nd IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion, Curitiba, Brazil, May 22-26, 2016
Reviewer Committee, the 23rd IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion, New Zealand, April 2019
Dr Altyn Aringazina is the author of seven books and monographs in public health field. She has published widely in peer-reviewed journals and produced an extensive bibliography of published papers in health promotion and public health, and in clinical epidemiology, and health services research.
1/ Akanov A.A., Slazhneva T., Aringazina A., Tulebayev K. “The Encyclopedia of Health for children”. Astana, 2002.
2/ Aringazina A., Yegeubayeva S. Health Promotion: Theory and Planning Program. Almaty, 2003.
3/ Aringazina A. Alcohol from the Positions of Public Health. Almaty, 2004.
4/ Akanov A., Baiserkin B., Aringazina A., Birtanov E., Tokezhanov B. From Industrial to Informational Society: Challenges for the Health Care System of Kazakhstan. Astana, 2005.
5/ Akanov A., Nurmanov K., Aringazina A., Baiserkin B. Public Health in Kazakhstan: The main approaches and principles.Almaty, 2007.
6/ Aringazina A. Introduction to Public Health. Almaty, 2013
7/ Aringazina A. Health Promotion and Sustainable Development in Kazakhstan. Chapter in the book: Development and Sustainability: The Challenge of Social Change. ZED Books London, 2016
Selected Invited Addresses and Named Lectures
- Development of public health in Kazakhstan. Challenges and opportunities, University of Glamorgan, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom, 2003.
- Disease Epidemiology with regard to Health Promotion in Kazakhstan. Lecture for bachelors, University of Southern Denmark, Esbjerg, Denmark, 2003.
- Kazakhstan Experience in Health Promotion Education Development. 18th IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion and Education, Melbourne, Australia, 2004.
- Capacity mapping initiative in Europe for 2005. CACU Report Overview. Policy Forum on Health Promotion Governance, “Governance of Health Promotion to address the wider determinants of population health”, WHO technical meeting, Venice, Italy, 2005.
- Partnership as an essential element to effective policy of public health. 5th
Nordic Health Promotion Research Conference “Health and Institutional
Change”, Esbjerg, Denmark, 2006.
- Towards a New Public Health in the Republic of Kazakhstan. 7th IUHPE
European Conference on Health Promotion and Education, Budapest,
- Public Health Policy in Kazakhstan. WHO Technical meeting, Muscat,
Sultanat Oman, 2006.
- Benchmarking for Health Promotion in Kazakhstan. 19 th IUHPE World
Conference on Health Promotion and Education, Vancouver, Canada, 2007
- Health Education in Kazakhstan. Invited Speaker. Keynote Address. 8 th IUHPE European Conference on Health Promotion and Education, Turin, Italy, 2008.
- Health Care in Kazakhstan. Lecture during the Public Health Week at Thomas Jefferson University, School of Population Health, Philadelphia, USA, 2011.
- The New Public Health in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Midwest Slavic Conference. The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2011.
- Development of Public Health in Kazakhstan. Lecture during the Republican Conference “Medical Education, Science and Practice: traditions, innovations, priorities” marking 55 years of Marat Ospanov the West-Kazakhstan State Medical University. Aktobe, October 18-19, 2012.
- Public Health in Kazakhstan. Lecture at the University of Southern Denmark, Teaching Module “Global Health”, Esbjerg, Denmark, March 2013
- Opportunities and Challenges for Education in the Public Health Field in Kazakhstan. Lecture during the 2nd Central Asian Conference for Medical Education “Medical Education through Innovations”. Karaganda State medical University, October 10-11, 2013
- Health Literacy Studies in Kazakhstan. Invited Speaker. The First International Conference of Health Literacy and Better Healthcare. Taipei, Taiwan, November 20-22, 2013.
- Health, Poverty and Sustainability Science. Invited Speaker. Public Event organized by CROP, UiB Global and the Department of Health Promotion and Development (HEMIL), University of Bergen, Norway, January 29, 2014.
- Public Health Policy in Kazakhstan. Public Lecture organized by Unit for Health Promotion Research at the University of Southern Denmark. Esbjerg, Denmark, April 9, 2014
- Health Promotion Development. Invited Speaker. The 2nd International & 6th National Congress on Health Education &Promotion, Kermanshah, Iran, 19-21 May 2015
- National indicators of health literacy in Kazakhstan. Invited Speaker. Developing Health Literacy during the Life Course. The 3rd European Health Literacy Conference, 17-19 November 2015. The Management Centre Europe, Brussels, Belgium
- Health literacy in Kazakhstan – a population based survey. The 5th AHLA International Health Literacy Conference Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 12 -14 November 2017
- Development and Evolution of Health Promotion Actions in Kazakhstan. Fulbright Seminar for U.S. Scholars and Students Researchers, Sponsored in partnership by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the U.S. Embassy in Astana. Almaty, Kazakhstan, April 9-12, 2018
- The impact of air pollution on health in Central Asia. The Second AQA High Level Strategy Session of the Air Quality Asia Institute, Senate Building, Washington, DC, April 17-18, 2018
- The Development of medical tourism in Turkey and Kazakhstan: comparative analysis. The 8th International Health Tourism Congress, Kusadasi, Turkey, May 3-6, 2018
Languages: Kazakh – native,
Russian – as a native,
English – fluent
Kausova Galina Kaliyevna – Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor of the Public Health and Social Sciences Department at KMU “KSPH”
Popova Tatyana Vladimirovna – Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor of the Public Health and Social Sciences Department at KMU “KSPH”
Iskakova Nadira Nurbekovna – Senior Instructor
Nazarova Lyaylya Zaurbekkyzy – Instructor
Kalel Zhan – Instructor
Master’s and doctoral Educational activities:
Obligatory classes (OC):
– “Introduction to Public Health”
– “Basics of bioethics”
– “Health Promotion and Disease Prevention”
– “Healthy Society Policy”
– “Qualitative research methods in public health services”
Electives (E) for master’s and doctoral students
- Topical issues of health promotion and disease prevention
- Development of socially-oriented primary health care
- Provision of medical care for children and women
- Selected questions of school medicine
- Bioethics issues
- Research management in public health
- Health Promotion Technologies
- Social services in healthcare
- Psychology of health
- Sociology of health and disease
- Patient-oriented technologies
- Palliative care
- Modern aspects of medical and social care assessment and rehabilitation
- Qualitative research methods
- Grant writing
- Columbia University New York, USA
- University of Southern Denmark
- University of Bergen Norway
- University of Ohio, USA
- Taipei Medical University, Taiwan;
- World Health Organization;
- International Union for Health Promotion and Education (IUHPE) – France;
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria;
- US Agency for International Development (USAID);
- The Open Society Institute (OSI)