The Kazakhstan School of Public Health (SHO) was established by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 1142 dated July 21, 1997 in Almaty in accordance with the Agreement between the WHO European Regional Office and the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated October 18, 1996. On November 18, 2000, the School of Public Health was renamed the “Graduate School of Public Health” (HSPH). The school was created with the aim of training and retraining specialists in public health, improving the qualifications of heads of health authorities and institutions on topical issues of public health, policy and management in modern conditions.
The Higher School of Healthcare is the first that kind of institution on the territory of the CIS countries and to this day remains the flagship in the field of new scientific knowledge, ideas and practical skills for heads of medical organizations of all levels, primary health care specialists, government officials of Kazakhstan and Central Asia, firmly holding a leading position in education and science in public health.
First rector of KSPH
Kulzhanov Maksut Karimovich
Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor. Visiting Professor at Virginia Commonwealth University USA.
In 1972 he graduated from the medical faculty of the Karaganda State Medical Institute. After postgraduate studies in 1978, he worked as a research assistant, head of the department and laboratory for planning and forecasting health care at the Research Institute of Hygiene and Occupational Diseases.
From 1988 to 1990 he worked as Deputy Director General for Research at the Republican Center for Health Protection.
In 1992 he was appointed Deputy Minister of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Since 1997, the rector of the Kazakhstan Higher School of Public Health.
Since 1982 he is a candidate, and since 1993 as doctor of medical sciences, specializing in “Social hygiene and organization of health care”.
Since 1995 professor, has the highest category of health care organizer. Author of over 160 scientific papers. Under the leadership of M.K. Kulzhanov 10 doctoral and more than 20 master’s theses have been defended. All his professional activities are associated with the consistent improvement of the health care system, organization and management of health care in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Kulzhanov Maksut Karimovich’s activity was devoted to the scientific substantiation of the need for deep transformations in the country’s health care system. With his direct participation, the main directions of the formation of new economic relations were developed during the transition of the healthcare industry to market relations; the implementation of compulsory health insurance and effective medical and organizational technologies for the management and financing of health care was managed. Being an active supporter of a scientific approach to reforms in healthcare, he applied his abilities as a healthcare organizer and teacher to create a School of Public Health in the republic. An agreement was signed between Kazakhstan and the WHO Regional Office for Europe to establish a School of Public Health. The dynamic development of the School of Public Health is characterized very positively. Over the past short period, the School has established many contacts with foreign partners, was admitted to the European Association of Schools of Public Health and its analogue, the Asia-Pacific Union of Public Health. Regional Office for Europe (WHO) departments consider the Higher School of Healthcare as their strategic partner not only in Kazakhstan, but also in the Central Asia region in general, and has trained more than 6,000 public health professionals. Along with short-term programs, 1-year certification and 2-year master’s programs have been successfully launched. The KSPH has been accredited by the European Agency for the Accreditation of Schools of Public Health. This is facilitated by his extensive experience in working with international organizations.
For a number of years, MK Kulzhanov, was a member of the Standing Committee of the WHO Regional Office for Europe, a WHO expert carrying out significant work in the framework of health policy in the European Region. Repeatedly represented Kazakhstan at various forums held by WHO and other international organizations such as UNICEF, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, etc. In 2000-2004. He was a member of the WHO Executive Committee, a member of the Board of COHRED, the Global Fund to Fight HIV / AIDS and Tuberculosis, and the UNEIDS Coordination Council. 2011-2017 Chairman of the Ethics Committee of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Currently he is a member of the WHO Executive Committee.
Kalmataeva Zhanna Amantayevna, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor.
From June 2011 to October 2015 – Rector of the Higher School of Public Health of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan
In 1994 she graduated from the Semipalatinsk State Medical Institute (specialty – medical doctor, diploma with honors), in 2010 she graduated from the Kainar University with a degree in practical psychology (diploma with honors).
During her work as the rector of the Higher School of Health, she passed the national certification of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan, became a member of the European Organization for Doctoral Education in Biomedicine and Health Sciences – ORPHEUS, and passed the preliminary international accreditation of the Master’s program of the Higher School of Health in Public Health by the decision of the Board of Directors of the European Agency for Accreditation of Educational Programs in the field public health (APHEA)
A quality management system has been developed and implemented in accordance with the requirements of quality standards ISO 9001: 2008 and has successfully passed the QMS certification.
Under the leadership of Zh.A. Kalmataeva prepared and defended 6 PhD theses, published more than 100 scientific publications.
Chronology of the emergence and development of KSPH:
• October 1996 the Agreement was signed between the WHO Regional Office for Europe and the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan (October 18, 1996).
• July 1997 – the School of Public Health (SHOP) was established in Almaty (Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated July 21, 1997 No. 1142).
• March 1999 – the specialty “0413 – Public Health” was introduced (by order of the Ministry of Health, Education and Sports of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 121 of March 5, 1999).
• July 1999 – the State Standard and the program of postgraduate training of specialists in the specialty “Public Health” were approved.
• November 2000 – SHO was renamed into the Higher School of Public Health (Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated November 18, 2000 No. 1735).
• 2001 – the specialty “14.00.33 – Public health and health care” was added to the list of scientific specialties instead of the previously adopted “14.00.33 – Social hygiene and organization of health care”.
• April 2001 – the Dissertation Council OD 09.19.02 was opened at the Higher School of Public Health for the defense of doctoral and candidate dissertations in the specialty “14.00.33 – Public health and health care”.
• December 2001 – an independent Ethics Committee was created for the first time in the Central Asian region at the Higher School of Public Health, whose task is to examine research projects and research results.
• July 1999 – The school actively collaborates with COHRED (Council for Health Research, Switzerland), which aims to coordinate and support health research. Rector, MD, professor M.K. Kulzhanov was elected a member of the COHRED board.
• January 2002 – The School was issued a State license of the AA series No.0000608 dated January 22, 2002 for conducting educational activities in the field of postgraduate vocational education for the preparation of specialists of higher scientific and pedagogical qualifications in postgraduate and doctoral studies in the specialty “14.00.33 – Public health and health care “.
• June 2002 – The school was elected a member of the Asia-Pacific Academic Public Health Consortium APACPH.
• January 2003 – Higher School of Public Health was elected a member of the Association of Public Health Schools of the European Region – ASPHER.
• 2003 – the Food Safety Training Center was established.
• April 2004 – Higher School of Healthcare was elected a member of the International Union for Health Promotion and Education – IUHPE
• May 19, 2005. – by order of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the State Compulsory Education Standard of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 245 was approved. Academic degree: “Master of Medicine”. Specialty: “611101 – Medicine”
• 01.08.2005. – issued a license No. 0008371 to conduct educational activities under the master’s program
• October 2012 – Higher School of Public Health passed the national certification of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan
• March 2013 – The Higher School of Health became part of the European Organization for Doctoral Education in Biomedicine and Health Sciences – ORPHEUS
• 04/18/2013 – international accreditation of the master’s program in public health at the Higher School of Public Health by the decision of the Board of Directors of the European Agency for the Accreditation of Educational Programs in Public Health (APHEA)
• 10/12/2012 – a quality management system was developed and implemented at the Higher School of Economics in accordance with the requirements of quality standards ISO 9001: 2008.
In April 2013. with the involvement of the international company “SGS Kazakhstan” held a seminar on the topic: “Training of internal auditors of the ISO 9001: 2008 Quality Management System”, 19 participants of the seminar were awarded international certificates of internal auditors.
• In November 2013. VSHOZ has successfully passed the QMS certification at the international level by SGS Kazakhstan Ltd and received an international certificate SAS – Switzerland.
• In accordance with the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated March 31, 2014 No. 280, the RSE at the RSP “Higher School of Public Health” was transformed into LLP “Kazakhstan Medical University“ KSPH ”, while maintaining the profile of activities in the field of postgraduate medical and pharmaceutical education, additional, professional.
• In December 2015. Kazakhstan Medical University “KSPH” received a certificate from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan on accreditation as a subject of scientific and (or) scientific and technical activities.
• In June 2016, the University passed institutional accreditation by the Independent Kazakhstani Agency for Quality Assurance in Education, as well as specialized accreditation of educational programs 6М110100 – Medicine, 6М110200 – Public health, 6D110200 – Public health.
• January 2017 Re-certification of the quality management system of the KMU “KSPH” by the international certification body – TQCSI (Kazakhstan), corresponding to the international standard ISO 9001: 2015
• In September 2017, the University entered into a cooperation agreement with the State Cancer Institute in Budapest, Hungary
• July 23, 2018 – in order to develop international cooperation in the field of science and education in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the International Medical University of Malaysia in conjunction with the International Medical College of Malaysia and the Kazakh National Medical University. S. D. Asfendiyarova, LLP “Kazakhstan Medical University” KSPH “and LLP” Educational and Clinical Center “in Astana.